[FoRK] McDonald's in Japan

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Thu Nov 18 11:46:56 PST 2004

On Nov 18, 2004, at 3:12 AM, J.Andrew Rogers wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2004, at 8:37 AM, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
>> Various studies *have* shown a link between diet and health issues,
>> such as breast cancer, where soy-rich diets before puberty reduce
>> cancer incidence rates significantly (there are less conclusive
>> studies about the benefits on older women). Even then though, what
>> the exact relationship is remains unclear.
>

> While at the same time there have been studies that show strong
> correlations between soy and glandular problems (in young people) and
> substantial cognitive decline (in older people).
>
> Basically, we're screwed.  All this stuff kills us one way or another.

Yes, but still, it doesn't hurt to pay attention. I think that in
addition to eating carefully, you have to stick to your diet.
Statistically there is a correlation between health problems and sudden
changes in dietary habits... for example, there is a higher incidence
of cancer in Japanese that move to the US, and change to a US diet vs.
Japanese Americans brought up on a mostly US diet. Again though, none
of this is conclusive because, at the end of the day, you cannot apply
truly rigourous scientific methodology to human subjects.