[FoRK] Science Braces for Second Term

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Wed Nov 17 11:43:46 PST 2004

But I would put you and the majority of FoRKers in the "pretty damn small"
group, not the majority. You have a *much* better understanding of science
and its methods than the average person that accepts evolution.

I don't think the average person distinguishes at all between scientific
facts they've heard about and, say, what they've been told on FOX News or in
a Michael Moore documentary. For the most part, they've decided either on
the basis of a preconception about the messenger or based on whether it is
compatible with a viewpoint they already hold. In some cases their own
observations will sway them.

Still, I think you've made an excellent point that one's
views/understanding/trust of the mechanics of the trust system itself are a
big part of it.

One, for example, might trust Wikipedia more because of its wiki-nature (and
the kind of self-regulation that results) than the credibility of any
individual contributor.

James