[FoRK] The Answer is 42 - 6 multiplied by 9

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Wed Nov 17 05:05:56 PST 2004

On 17/11/04 5:11 PM, "Eugen Leitl" <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 08:44:12AM +0800, James Tauber wrote:
>>
>> What if Democritus got it the wrong way around and it's the atoms that are
>> epiphenomenal? In other words, physics is a side-effect of the
>
> Physics has gone a long way since Democritus.

I was specifically referring to the Democritian view (still held, no?) that
sense is epiphenomenal and elementary particles are foundational.

My strawman hypothesis a brains-in-jars simulation as opposed to an
elementary particle simulation.

>> implementation details of a simulation at a much higher level, not the
>> foundation of the simulation.
>
> So the self-consistent body of physical theories and measurements are fake,
> or just a potyemkin village?

Yes (see my previous reference to the connection with "apparent age"
creationism), although not necessarily deliberately so .

My strawman hypothesis is that the rules of physics are the way the
simulated consciousnesses interpret the simulation. They are not what is
directly being simulated.

James