[FoRK] Google desktop indexes your web browsing!

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Sun Oct 17 21:15:45 PDT 2004

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote on 10/17/2004 7:58 PM:

> Neither of those are particularly revolutionary either. Those ideas have
> been around in one form or another for 10+ years. I wrote something like
> WinFS on top of NFS back in the 80's, and it was somewhat old even then.

That's the catch isn't it, there isn't anything new in computer science,
nor has been for at least 25 years. In many cases 200 years for some theory.

Luckily, everyone screws up their implementations just enough that we
keep having to do it all over again in the next language of the year. At
least Java is now dead thanks to C#. When longhorn comes out we'll all
have to scrap our code yet again, since C/C++ doesn't really work with
the new compilers, and screw it all up in time for the next new shiney
thing.

But I think the business types are catching on that reimplementing stuff
takes no real skill and can be done on the cheap by indians(2003), er,
chinese(2004), er Africans(2005), er 100 lines [4.3Million parens] of
LISP (2006)...

Now math on the other hand gets one good proof a year on a good year,
and physics gets some new theory/particle a decade. Woohoo!

*sigh* I sure do miss the days when I wasn't aware of the above.

Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/