[FoRK] Google desktop indexes your web browsing!

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com
Sun Oct 17 13:09:06 PDT 2004

Not revolutionary?  That's certainly true.  It has nice integration, though, with the web browser history, Outlook, etc., drops local search results into Google search result pages, is relatively small (0.5 MB download), etc.  The integration stuff is platform-specific, but I'd bet the rest of the code was intended to be portable.

I liked blinkx because it had a slicker user interface.  The embedded copy of Autonomy's search engine was limited in the number of items it would index, though, and it didn't have hooks to a good Internet search engine.

Truly revolutionary would be the original WinFS vision, with customizable attributes and DB-style queries.  Or PARC's Placeless Documents with its ability to maintain several classification schemes at the same time.

Big evolutionary leaps might include clustering or domain-specific taxonomy (like Vivisimo or Carrot).

Google desktop search is a small evolutionary leap, but usable, well-integrated tools beat revolutionary almost every time.

Ken