[FoRK] Bush the "Dry Drunk"

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Thu Oct 14 16:01:58 PDT 2004

Alcohol/brain damage theory.

I admit I wouldn't bother forwarding this if I didn't hate Bush so
fucking much.

- Joe

<http://www.americanpolitics.com/20020924Bisbort.html>

Dry Drunk
Is Bush making a cry for help?
by Alan Bisbort

Sept. 24, 2002 -- HARTFORD (APJP) -- Alcoholics Anonymous has a name for
someone who is a drunk in every way except for the actual imbibing of
spirits. They call that person a "dry drunk." This is not a judgmental
term, nor should this be a judgmental topic in America, where there are,
by even the most conservative estimates, 10 million adult alcoholics,
and very few families that have not been touched, in one way or another,
by this national scourge. This same scourge has, by his own admission,
also touched the life of our Commander in Chief.

Whether George W. Bush is or was an alcoholic is not the point here. I
am taking him at his word that he stopped what he termed "heavy
drinking" in 1986, at age 40. The point here is that, based on Bush's
recent behavior, he could very well be a "dry drunk." Of course, he may
just be an immature bully who will gladly sacrifice thousands of lives
to get his way even against the advice of the most respected and mature
members of his own party.

Still, Bush's past battles with the bottle are worth pondering at a time
like this, one of the most dangerous in the nation's history. When a
recovering alcoholic begins to engage in what AA calls "stinking
thinking," he or she begins to exhibit the old attitudes and pathologies
of their drinking years. These include an increase in anxiety, mild
tremors, mild depression, disturbed sleep patterns, inability to think
clearly, craving for junk food, irritability, sudden bursts of anger and
unpredictable mood swings. According to AA literature, "Boredom and
listlessness may alternate with intense feelings of resentment against
family and friends, and explosive outbursts of violence."

Bush said he was a "heavy drinker." But let's not be coy here. Anyone
who has ever imbibed heavily over a long period of time knows that
"heavy drinker" is the rich man's (or the politician's) code for alcoholic.

For the record, Bush claims to have stopped drinking for reasons that
change each time he's asked about his substance-abusing past (which
isn't often, thanks to a cowed press). Let's say he started
experimenting with alcohol, as per the national norm, at 16 at prep
school, and he began getting regularly wasted at Yale at 18. This would
mean that Bush drank steadily "heavily" for at least 22 years. We are,
then, asked to believe that he went cold turkey after more than two
decades of heavy drinking, a nearly impossible feat even for someone, as
he claims, who was rescued by God.

Far be it from me to cast stones when it comes to alcohol. I've seen the
devastating toll alcoholism can take. My brother was an honors student
in college, when he began drinking heavily (party drinking, as was the
tradition at southern colleges back then). By the time he was in his
mid-30s, real and dramatic changes had occurred in his metabolism and
brain chemistry. Medical experts told me at the time that just 15 years
of sustained drinking can do irreversible physical harm of this sort. In
other words, even if my brother stopped drinking, the damage would
remain done. But by most measuring sticks, my brother was a functioning
member of society. He held jobs, paid his rent and bills, and he made
heroic efforts to beat his cursed addiction. He climbed the 12 steps
more times than Stallone climbed those steps in "Rocky."

Though I deeply loved my brother and miss him terribly now, I could not
deny the damage, even in his long periods of sobriety, that alcohol did
to him. Rather, I could not deny the damage, but I could not bear to
watch it happen. I could feel it in my bones that he was up against
something stronger than his will and his prodigious intellect. Stinking
thinking, like kudzu, simply overtook his mind, and alcohol killed his body.

It is worth reflecting on George W. Bush's academic history. He
graduated from two of the finest institutions of higher learning in this
country: Yale and Harvard. He didn't make great grades, but he
graduated, an accomplishment warranting some respect. Many rich,
well-connected boys have flunked out. [NOTE from the editors: ...or
tossed out, as was one Richard Scaife, from Yale, allegedly for his own
love of the bottle.]

The question is then begged, and seems to at least deserve some pause
for pondering: how did he, at age 58, get so fumble-tongued, incapable
of stringing more than two coherent sentences together, snippily
irritable with anyone who dares disagree with him or even ask a
question, poutily turning his back on the democratically elected
president of one of our most important allies because of something one
of his underlings said about him (Germany's Schroder, of course),
listlessly in need of constant vacations and rest, dangerously obsessed
with only one thing (Iraq), to the exclusion of all other things
(including an economy that is slowly sucking the life from the nation as
! well as the retirement savings of anyone reading these words)?

Furthermore, why is Bush so eager to engage in violence and so incapable
of explaining why?

For drunks to function for any length of time in the world, they need
enablers. Congress is filling that bill splendidly right now for Bush.
As BuzzFlash put it about the recent corporate scandals, "For most of
his adult life, those people around him enabled Bush's alcoholism. Now
the Democratic Senate is enabling the corporate corruption problem of
his administration by not using their Constitutional powers to demand
the truth."

Not only the Congress but the nation seems to be watching this happen.
No. They are encouraging it to happen. Who knows, maybe we are all in
shock, just as we are when a member of our family does something
appalling or outrageous under alcohol's bidding. God knows, the crazy
behavior by the administration is so wild and unprecedented, covering
such frightening unknown territory up ahead that it may be easier to
look away.

But we can't look away. George W. Bush needs an intervention. Let's be
his interveners. Let's raise our sober voices. Let's ask questions,
demand more than temper tantrums and pouting from the Commander in
Chief. Let's do this before it's too late and a dry drunk's dream of
glory becomes our national nightmare.

Alan Bisbort is a columnist for the Hartford Advocate. His more recent
book is "Famous Last Words" (Pomegranate).