[FoRK] What Bush supporters must believe...

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Oct 13 20:47:56 PDT 2004

As you're aware, I'm not going to be voting for George Bush.  I believe
a true conservative, a libertarian, or a moderate of any stripe CANNOT
in good conscience vote for George Bush --- so I'm voting Kerry, not so
much FOR Kerry as AGAINST Bush.  (Though I feel much better about Kerry
now than I did at the outset of these debates.)  Here are who you are
and / or some things you have to believe in order to vote for Bush:

(1)  You support special-interest oligarchy, corporate welfare, and
corruption.  You think that having multi-billion dollar no-bid
contracts handed to favored companies who are still paying our
executives more than they are making from the public for their
"service" is not ethically objectionable.  You believe the taxpayers of
this country SHOULD pay the Vice-President's former (and current!)
employer $100 for a box of Tide or > $15 / gallon for oil *in Iraq* is
okay.  You see no problem with having corporate criminals like Ken Lay
be chief advisors to the president on energy policy.

(2)  Screw the kids.  You think that a tax deferral disguised as a tax
cut which steals your childrens' and grandchildrens' future earnings in
order to provide the political sham of tax cuts today (coupled with
HUGE deficit spending) is okay.  Never mind the fact that the younger
generations are already looking forward to being screwed by the scam
called Social Security, let's put $300 more in your pockets today.
Triple whammy:  the youngsters pay for the Boomer's today, don't get
Social Security tomorrow, get tomorrow's money taken away from them AND
their kids in order to pay for the faux "conservative" / "Republican"
Boomer's post-millennial spending binge.

(3)  You think sending jobs overseas is a good thing.  Under George
Bush's tenure more jobs have moved overseas than ever before, in fact
accelerated by massive tax cuts for corporations that do so.

(4)  Screw the troops.  Under George Bush more of our servicemen and
women are living below the poverty line than ever before.  To add
insult to injury George Bush cut combat pay for soldiers currently
deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq, cut supplemental pay for their
families back home, and refused to supply them with body armor and
other critical tools.  George Bush's record with the military is so bad
that it's resulted in a backdoor draft, with mandatory additional tours
of duty and the lowest recruitment levels across the board since
*before* the Vietnam War.

(5)  You believe that it's better for America to defer to our wise
leaders than to evaluate all the facts and think for ourselves.  You
have no problem with the fact that this administration has and
continues to lie, distort, and deceive in a more systematic and
egregious fashion than any in history.  (You probably *were* mad about
Clinton lying, but then, that was about *sex.*)

(6)  You think George Bush is a good Christian man, never mind the fact
that he's only attended "his church" in D.C. a few times since taking
office --- mostly early on, mostly for photo opportunities.  But then,
it's more important to *say* you're Christian than to demonstrate
actual Christian virtues like telling the truth.

(7)  Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, what's the difference?  Saddam,
Osama, who cares?  They're all towel heads.  You're not bothered by the
fact that Bush refuses to distinguish between Iraq and a real "war on
terror."  You're not bothered by the fact that while 15 of the 19
highjackers on the 9/11 flights were from Saudi Arabia (our "good
friends") NONE were from Iraq.  You're not bothered by the fact that
exactly NONE of the claims made by Rumsfeld, Rice, and company before
the invasion of Iraq (never mind Colin Powell before the U.N.,
apparently despite his better judgment) have turned out to be true.

(8)  You're more interested in having the U.S. "beat its chest" about
how powerful it is internationally than take simple measures that could
actually secure our homeland.  You don't think that with all the money
--- money stolen from your children and grandchildren --- sloshing
around that we could find the $2B necessary to fund an inspection
program for container ships in our major ports.  You think that letting
jackboots molest white middle-class PREGNANT WOMEN in airport security
makes us safer than looking for rogue nuclear weapons crossing our
borders.  (See "Coffee, Tea, or Should We Feel Your Pregnant Wife's
Breasts" -
http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2002/12/21/19366/538 -jb)

(9)  Chris Reeves?  Michael J. Fox?  Screw 'em, they're cripples.  You
believe that a *potential life* is far more important than an *actual*
life, and will do anything possible to overturn Roe vs. Wade and to
banish stem cell research.  For that matter you think science is pretty
damn shifty, buncha ivory tower eggheads --- let's have less science in
general (and we do, under Dubya.)  More faith, less science.

(10)  You think more Republicans should follow that great example of
Republican leadership, FDR.  After all, Dubya is!  Big social programs
(prescription drug plan) to big bureacracies (largest government
payroll ever in headcount) you think the whole Reagan Revolution's
precedent of minimal gov't was misguided.  More Big Government!  Of
course, only if it's the GOP in charge...

(11)  You "KNOW" that Kerry is "the most liberal senator in the U.S.
Senate" even though you don't know why you know that.  (I'll tell you
why you know that:  The National Review --- now there's an unbiased
source --- said so, and you've been programmed with that sound bite via
the conservative media outlets and talking heads.)

(12)  You are distressed by Kerry's supposed tendency to "flip-flop"
but either don't know or cannot acknowledge that Bush has a track
record replete with flip-flopping on profoundly important issues:
priority of terrorism and domestic security pre-9/11, "nation
building," 9/11 commission, formation of a Department of Homeland
Security, intelligence reform, etc. etc. etc.)

(13)  You think that having Big Brother keep an eye on Americans ---
with no checks and balances --- is good for the country.  Renew the
PATRIOT Act.  Pass PATRIOT II.  Most people are guilty until proven
innocent anyway.

(14)  In for a penny, in for a pound.  You believe that it is more
important when wrong to not admit mistakes, to remain "determined" and
"resolute," and to "stay the course" than to admit your mistakes and
make the changes that need to be made.

(15)  You believe that Fox News truly is "Fair and Balanced" --- 'nuf
said.

(16)  We can go it alone.

(17) You believe that George Bush is a "simple man of the people"
despite the fact that (a) he was a silver spoon born into one of the
scariest, shadiest old-money families in the country, (b) he went to
the same Ivy League school as Kerry, then Harvard,   and (c) like Kerry
he is a member of one of the scariest, shadiest secret societies /
brotherhoods in the country.  You believe that he's looking out for the
middle class little guys, despite the fact that at a fund raiser
earlier this year, in the presence of some of the wealthiest people in
the country he said:  "Some people call you the idle rich.  I call you
my base!"

(18)  You believe that George Bush is a seasoned, accomplished
businessman despite the fact that (a) every single one of his business
ventures failed, costing his "partners" (mostly Daddy's family friends)
and / or taxpayers millions, (b) he never actually accomplished
anything that would justify the positions, investment, and career
success he had prior to feeling the "public service" call, and (c) the
only money he ever really made was a function of a shady
insider-trading deal that was investigated by the SEC.  Which, BTW, was
*far* bigger and *far* more impactful than e.g. "Whitewater."

(19)  You believe that letting lesbians or male homosexuals have a
wedding ceremony is a FAR graver risk to "marriage" and "the family"
than either the stratospheric divorce rate that exists today or the
fact that the "make / keep the Baby Boomer's wealthy" policies of the
last 40 years have made it essentially impossible for my generation or
the next to raise a family at the same kind of quality of life (on even
larger *double* incomes) as that we enjoyed in our childhood.  It also
goes without saying that you believe that the federal government should
be in the marriage business.  (In conflict with other positions you
might have where "states' rights" trump everything else.)

(20)  You have very little respect for the Constitution.  Despite the
fact that "activist judges" were specifically wired into the
Constitution as a check / balance against the possibility of "activist
legislators" and "activist administrations" you feel that we need more
of the latter two and less of the first --- and never mind the Framers'
intentions.

(21)  Despite the fact that you despise the French, you believe we
should borrow a few tricks from their playbook.  In particular you
believe that, like the French, our government should be in the business
of defining what exactly constitutes "American culture" and defending
the "purity" of said culture.

(22)  You tend to think John Ashcroft is a good, upright, sane
individual instead of the wacky theocratic nut-job and jackboot that he
clearly is.  Yeah, let's give him some more power...  (Yet you think
Janet Reno was the spawn of Satan...  go figure.)

(23)  You believe that paranoia is healthy.  You disagree with Benjamin
Franklin's assertion that "They that can give up essential liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
(Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.)

(24)  Can't have too much legislation!  More, more, more!  The fact the
George Bush is the first president in over a century to never veto
*anything* is *just fine* with you.

I'm sure there are more.  ;-)

jb

---

It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey
to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man
is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once
the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt.

	- John Philpot Curran