[FoRK] Voter registration scandal in NV

Jim Whitehead ejw at cs.ucsc.edu
Wed Oct 13 17:04:07 PDT 2004

> I've never understood what the point of the primaries is in
> the US -- why does joe trailerpark need to vote to nominate a
> candidate and then vote for the election?  Why do we need to
> have several elections every four years when one will
> suffice?  Let the party faithful choose their best candidate
> and run with him/her to the election.

The current primary system was considered an improvement over past practice,
the rationale being that it put the ability to choose candidates into the
hands of the people, rather than party bosses in smoke filled rooms.

It also has the advantage of having real voter feedback on candidates prior
to candidate selection, and you gather campaign experience from the
candidates.

Finally, it means candidates will have already developed a political
organization by the time they are selected.

- Jim