[FoRK] Voter registration scandal in NV

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Wed Oct 13 15:05:28 PDT 2004

On 13-Oct-04, at 12:48 PM, Elias Sinderson wrote:

>> So -- I don't get it.   *Why* do voter registrations have to indicate
>> party affiliation?
>>
> Registering an affiliation with a party allows one to vote in the
> primaries for that party. I've considered registering republican
> simply to promote their weakest candidate, but I'm clearly better than
> that.

I've never understood what the point of the primaries is in the US --
why does joe trailerpark need to vote to nominate a candidate and then
vote for the election?  Why do we need to have several elections every
four years when one will suffice?  Let the party faithful choose their
best candidate and run with him/her to the election.  This has a couple
of benefits:

	1) A candidate's march to the white house is cheaper and more
accessible
	2) Parties which are out of touch with the populace will presumably
               exhibit this by nominating milquetoast candidates
	3) The political convention as we know it becomes a much more
functional
	     instrument, less a publicity stunt

The massive infringement of privacy entailed within voter registration
virtually assures a corrupt system and has the effect of keeping those
who wish to uphold the very ideals of democracy from voting at all.

So much of the US political process is a great pantomime full of sound
and fury, signifying nothing.  Thank god you people have decided to
take it upon yourselves to spread your brand of democracy around the
world... dictatorships will soon experience a renaissance.

In Canada and the UK you just show up with ID and proof of address on
election day (a hydro bill, etc.) and you're good to go.

-Ian.