[FoRK] Voter registration scandal in NV

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Wed Oct 13 12:48:22 PDT 2004

Justin Mason wrote:

>[Interesting story...]

The story you posted leaves me both disturbed and disgusted but,
unfortunately, not surprised. It is a sad commentary on the state of
democracy in 'the free-est nation on earth'... That it has sunk to the
base level of a political boxing match between two corrupt parties,
neither of which truely represent the very people who are apparantly
quite willing to fix the match...

>So -- I don't get it.   *Why* do voter registrations have to indicate party affiliation?

Registering an affiliation with a party allows one to vote in the
primaries for that party. I've considered registering republican simply
to promote their weakest candidate, but I'm clearly better than that.

>Surely it would be better to stick with the private ballot concept, where you can keep your voting intentions secret right until you step into the polling booth?

Agreed, especially in light of the breaking story you posted.

Regards,
Elias