[FoRK] Voter registration scandal in NV

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Wed Oct 13 12:05:36 PDT 2004

So, the inevitable has happened -- or at least, this time evidence has
been collected of the perpetrators doing it. [1]

  Employees of a private voter registration company allege that hundreds,
  perhaps thousands of voters who may think they are registered will be
  rudely surprised on election day. The company claims hundreds of
  registration forms were thrown in the trash.

  Anyone who has recently registered or re-registered to vote outside a
  mall or grocery store or even government building may be affected.

  The I-Team has obtained information about an alleged widespread pattern
  of potential registration fraud aimed at democrats. Thee focus of the
  story is a private registration company called Voters Outreach of
  America, AKA America Votes.

  The out-of-state firm has been in Las Vegas for the past few months,
  registering voters. It employed up to 300 part-time workers and
  collected hundreds of registrations per day, but former employees of the
  company say that Voters Outreach of America only wanted Republican
  registrations.

  Two former workers say they personally witnessed company supervisors rip
  up and trash registration forms signed by Democrats.

  "We caught her taking Democrats out of my pile, handed them to her
  assistant and he ripped them up right in front of us. I grabbed some of
  them out of the garbage and she tells her assisatnt to get those from
  me," said Eric Russell, former Voters Outreach employee.

  Eric Russell managed to retrieve a pile of shredded paperwork including
  signed voter registration forms, all from Democrats. We took them to the
  Clark County Election Department and confirmed that they had not, in
  fact, been filed with the county as required by law.

'Voters Outreach of America' is a company run by Aaron "A.J." James, who
was hired by the former executive director of the Arizona Republican
Party, Nathan Sproul, to collect signatures to get Ralph Nader on the
ballot. [2]   Here we go again... election-fixing 2004 style.

So -- I don't get it.   *Why* do voter registrations have to indicate
party affiliation?   Surely it would be better to stick with the private
ballot concept, where you can keep your voting intentions secret right
until you step into the polling booth?   This attack seems entirely
obvious to me.  I just don't get the point of party-affiliation
voter registration.

    [1]: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/10/12/213358/59
    [2]: http://arizona.indymedia.org/print.php?id=19886

--j.