[FoRK] Geo-surfing (was Web 2.0)

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Oct 12 11:07:48 PDT 2004

The ability to share through email or Internet geo-URLs with referenced
image or data overlays is really great.
You need the commercial license to be able to share databases.
The very high resolution areas are obtained not from satellite data but
from aerial flyover.  You can see the seaming in places like Tokyo from
wide angle lense perspective of buildings.  Still great, and in some
places like Las Vegas can give effective resolutions of 4" per pixel or
better.  Earthviewer shows you the one or more data sets involved in
each view as you move around, which is cool.

The price on the pro version has dropped quite a bit, from $1100-1200
down to $600, but there are several gotta-have add on modules for $300 each.

They only have average and/or typical peak traffic information
available, right?  Realtime information would be very cool, like Tokyo has.

Nasa WorldWind seems very very similar.  Earthviewer/Keyhole in fact do
use the Big Blue Marble data, but the engines seem to have identical
goals.  A history of which came first and the relationship would be
interesting.

sdw