[FoRK] Geo-surfing (was Web 2.0)

J.Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Oct 11 22:41:57 PDT 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 4:02 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Terraserver is ok, but Keyhole / Earthviewer is really cool.
>
> http://www.keyhole.com
>
> I've been playing with it off and on for years, since before Sept.
> 2002 in fact.

I'll second that, and we've also been using it since its early days.

Keyhole is a completely different class of capability than Terraserver,
and the resolution of some of the data in their system can put
Terraserver to shame.  The new version of their software allows you to
integrate live data layers into the system (which supports over 100
different simultaneous data layers IIRC), which is Hollywood sci-fi
slick.

Imagine seeing a realtime 2.5D geographic view of just about any type
of data you wish, such as realtime vehicle traffic data, weather
precipitation data, RF propagation data, Starbucks latte sales data,
and who knows what else, all simultaneously.  Throw on a few dozen
static data layers for fun e.g. skunk population density and
distribution (data which actually exists BTW).  All realtime, mapped
over a very high-resolution zoomable geography of the region of your
choice.

Very, very sexy eye candy, and with nearly endless practical uses.
After the fun of geo-surfing the data wears off, of course.

j. andrew rogers