[FoRK] Guantanamo By The Hudson; Asses of Evil

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Thu Sep 2 11:57:32 PDT 2004

Jeff Bone writes:
> Ryan Junell via Lisa Rein:
>
> 	http://www.onlisareinsradar.com/archives/002173.php
>
> Undue Process
> September 01, 2004
> UNDO Process At "The Guantanamo By The Hudson" (At The Republican
> National Convention)
>
> This just in from Ryan Junell:
>
>      From: ryan junell
>      Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:54:42 -0400
>      To: free.eddie at texasmonkey.com
>      Subject: FREE EDDIE!
>
>      the rnc video project is in a weird spot... while I was inside the
> convention hall last night holding up a sign that said "girlymen for
> arnold" (I voted green in cali, btw)... project producer eddie codel
> was following the action at one of the protests when he got fenced in
> by cops arresting everyone on the block. they arrested over 1000 people
> last night and have detained them at the piers for now over 20 hours.

http://nyc.indymedia.org/feature/display/113851/index.php notes 'most
protesters have been in jail for approx. 40-48 hours'.

In the terms used in Northern Ireland in the '70s during the height of
internment, this was called "detention without trial".

However the NYC orange-netting technique goes beyond that.   Reportedly,
the cops pick a block, erect orange plastic netting all around it, then
detain everyone -- including passers-by, people who live there, press,
everyone -- inside the netting.   They can then be taken to little Gitmo,
kept there for up to 72 hours without access to a phone or lawyer, then be
released without charge (or with trivial charges like "traffic
obstruction").

This account: http://a.parsons.edu/~forscher/stream/2004/08/full-story.html
is pretty descriptive of the process.

More: http://nyc.indymedia.org/feature/display/113021/index.php