[FoRK] Is Schwarzenegger really this dumb?

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 2 08:34:02 PDT 2004

These are snippets from Arnold's speech:

"The President didn't go into Iraq because
the polls told him it was popular. As a matter
of fact, the polls said just the opposite."

As a matter of fact, after the Bush administration's
carefully orchestrated campaign of deceit, on the
eve of war, two-thirds of Americans favored
invasion. Of course, many of them then thought
that Saddam was responsible for 9/11. It wasn't
until those reasons were unraveled that public
opinion changed against the war.

"Listening to Nixon speak sounded more like a
breath of fresh air. I said to my friend, 'What
party is he?' My friend said, 'He's a Republican.'
I said, 'Then I am a Republican!'"

So Schwarzenegger was fooled. He was fooled
then by one of the most corrupt Presidents in
this nation's history, a Republican just like Bush,
who spoke like a conservative, but in fact bloated
the government and the deficit. One might think
that Schwarzenegger would have realized he had
been fooled when Nixon ran up huge deficits
and introduced wage and price controls. Or
that Schwarzenegger might have made the
connection a couple of years later, when Nixon's
deficits led to the inflation that Ford had to fight.
Seemingly, Shwarzenegger has a soft spot for
corrupt Republican Presidents who speak of
freedom and deliver something rather different.
The parallels are obvious. It boggles the mind
that anyone on the GOP stage today would
recall Nixon in positive light, would credit Nixon
for their loyalty to the GOP, or would so casually
conjure the parallels between Nixon and Dubya!