[FoRK] Mac G4/Darwin...

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Tue Aug 31 17:55:18 PDT 2004

I strongly recommend against using Entourage.  The v.X version crashed
fairly reliably when mailboxes got to ~2GB in size and took with it its
whole proprietary database, which is the only way to debabelize the
proprietary format it's stored in (along with your contacts, calendars,
and everything else).  As a server admin I also know that its IMAP
behaviour is very poor, even worse than Mail.app's, and prone to
orphaning sessions.

Also, given that you pay hundreds of dollars for the pleasure,
Microsoft's support is very weak.  I spent hours on the phone with them
and after a few days of back-and-forth MSFT simply threw up their hands
and said "sorry!".  At the time I wasn't using IMAP and had
consolidated numerous accounts and I lost years worth of email.

Entourage works great until it doesn't, and then you're fucked.

-Ian.

PS - Three years later I'm STILL seething with anger.