[FoRK] Items you own (was Re: FoRK Digest, Vol 17, Issue 31)

Dan Gould dlg at cs.brown.edu
Tue Aug 31 13:20:00 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 fork-request at xent.com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:11:39 -0400
> From: "Meltsner, Kenneth" <Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com>
> Subject: RE: [FoRK] Items you own
> To: "Russell Turpin" <deafbox at hotmail.com>, <fork at xent.com>
>
> Yep, it's been a long time since all of my possessions would fit in the
> back of my VW Golf.
>
> My current plan is to die before I have to move again.  Books can be
> moved easily (we have them sorted by binding/size, so they're easy to
> box).  Last move, about 8 years ago, took 100 boxes for books, but
> that's only a four layer, 5 x 5 box stack.  Total volume was 150 cubic
> feet, and weight was probably 1.5 - 2 tons.  Which sounds like a lot,
> but we moved two cars and all of our household possessions in a single
> moving van.  If we sold the cars, I'm sure we'd still fit in a single
> trailer.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer to get rid of the fancy china set and crystal
> that my wife wanted when we got married, but I'm doomed if I ever
> suggest that.  And books these days, especially SF paperbacks, tend to
> self-destruct from acid paper, so I'm sure we won't leave much to our
> heirs.  My old tools, on the other hand, have already lasted ~100 or
> more years, so they're going to last another 40-60 without much effort.

I'm actually in the middle of preparing my books to move from Providence,
RI to San Francisco.  I'm putting most stuff in to storage, but do you
have any advice on shipping the ~1/3 ton of books that I am going to
bring?  Media Mail looks like the cheapest option (I'm rather low on
cash), but I suspect some of you have experience.

Thanks.

[And, BTW, while I'm primarily a lurker on FoRK, I do look forward to
 running in to some of you in real life once I'm out there.]