Travel photos, people, political exo-USA youth was: Re: [FoRK] ice, baby

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Aug 30 14:17:43 PDT 2004

I make it a point to take pictures of people, although I'm still a
little shy about asking if people mind direct shots of them.  I'm
getting better.
I drive people crazy taking pictures sometimes, especially my children,
but I get some really great shots once in a while.  The only problem is
that I'm in few of them and generally the ones I get of me are fuzzy
because people don't know how to handle a camera well enough.

I'll have my Helsinki photos sorted and up soon (at least the good ones
out of 800).  For borrowing time here and there when I wasn't busy with
the working group, I think I did pretty well.  Few people probably rent
a plane and hold $2000 of camera out the window in 110mph wind to get
clear arial shots. ;-)  Hopefully I can license some of them.

Here are the FAQ from college and high school (equivalent) kids in
Helsinki and Porvoo, Finland who I talked to:

Why are you taking pictures?  Are these going to be in a magazine?

Do you like Michael Moore?  (No one had seen the recent movie yet, but
apparently a previous documentary about environmental concerns or
something similar had been popular in the past.)

Do you like Pres. Bush?  (mostly just "Bush")

Do you think he will be reelected?

Why would the US reelect him?

Being question about US politics by a 12 and 14 year old in a small town
in Finland seems a little surreal.

In Finland, red hair (artificial or not) is very popular.

sdw