[FoRK] Smarter spam harvesters vs. FoRK archives

Gordon Mohr gojomofork at xavvy.com
Tue Aug 24 09:33:14 PDT 2004

I've received my first piece of spam to an address that's only used for
FoRKposting, since the archives started mildly obscuring the origin
address.

Either they're sniffing addresses in transit (or at an endpoint/subscriber),
or -- more likely -- they've upgraded their web-scraping to consider
'mailname at domain.tld' to be an email address.

Can we make the obscuring technique a bit more obscure/unique? Some ideas:

(1) only have mailname after hostname, with verbiage in between
(2) use invisible intervening html to ensure the token stream gives
no valid email addresses (eg:

   mailname <span style="display:none">at fakedomain.com
   Subject: </span> domain.tld
(3) compose the actual email-hinting string with Javascript

- Gordon