[FoRK] Meta-deceit: Fifty-nine Deceits in Fahrenheit 911

Bill Humphries bill at whump.com
Fri Jul 9 00:54:30 PDT 2004

On Jul 9, 2004, at 12:27 AM, James Tauber wrote:

> What annoys me most about the film (and Michael Moore in general) is my
> otherwise intelligent left-wing friends have allowed their hatred of
> Bush to cloud their judgement into accepting Moore's propaganda as fact
> (NB: not saying you, Jeff)

There's a lot of 'wink and nudge' in the first half of 911 that could
had been dropped.

When I watched it a couple of weeks ago, the crowd got a good laugh out
of them.

I thought the scenes with the marine recruiters, the throng of
businesses looking for post war contracts, and the woman who lost her
son were effective.

_Gunner's Palace_ isn't a polemic, but looks like it's worth checking
out.

Several links to comments on 911 and _Gunner's Palace_ at the GreenCine
blog:
http://daily.greencine.com/archives/000510.html -- read the
Counterpunch complaint for comic relief.

> If it wasn't so depressing, I'd find it a fascinating study in how
> propaganda works.

Back in the 1930's, Hollywood made a short film denouncing Sinclar
Lewis, who was running for governor at the time. It's credited with
turning the electorate against him.

> I can't wait till Bush loses so I don't have to hear so much about
> Michael Moore.

Oh, on the other hand, I heard enough from Drudge during the 1990's
that I'll accept it as cultural payback.

-- whump