[FoRK] Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering. 14 used & new from $13.99 Available for in-store pickup now from: $19.80 Price may vary based on availability Enter your ZIP Code Have one to sell? Don't have one? We'll set one up for you. Hard America, Soft America: Competition vs. Coddling and the Battle for the Nation's Future

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun May 16 15:47:54 PDT 2004

 From an article last year:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/archive/030512/20030512040259_brief.php
To a book this year:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400053064/102-7790499-1429724?v=glance

The interesting question is whether it is good or bad to have public
school be soft.  I think that most of us have seen the soft vs. hard
divide.  I don't necessarily agree that it is the fault of the school
system.  I'm not even sure that it is a problem to begin with.  There
was a study long ago comparing US schools to Japanese and other public
school systems.  The analysis was that Japanese (and other) school
systems brought more students to a more complete and advanced level of
education, but in the process stunted, eliminated, or otherwise
inhibited those that had the ability and interest to excel and be very
creative.  By contrast, American schools (and universities overall) were
less performant on average, but produced the outstanding stars.

I think that it is odd that the author and others associate so closely
the Left with the soft phase or group and the Right with the hard.
Anyone who has raised enough teenagers is likely to understand that
outside influences and lazy or otherwise inappropriate choices happen
even with strong education of the merits of 'hard' success.  Everyone
has to decide whether to be soft, and live with a likelihood of less
money and opportunities, or hard, and live with competition but higher
likelihood of "success".  I have heard the generalization that some
young men tend to be Republican/Right/intolerant and as they age and
gain experience tend to become more tolerant and liberal.  I have
observed this in at least some aspects.

Everyone should understand these tradeoffs and choices and understand
when they are making them.  I get the impression that career counseling
in US High School is generally minimal and useless.  One of my children
who was fairly career minded but completely undecided as to field had
received almost no indication of important factors like number employed
in fields, median and top salary, burnout rate, etc.  It very well may
be that by allowing more self-selection of the time and place of the
hard vs. soft decisions, the US benefits overall.  I can think of a
couple dynamics that would enforce this: people develop at different
rates, sometimes drastically.  Anyone who is a late bloomer would be at
a severe disadvantage in a highly competitive one-shot educational
system.  Conversely, early bloomers would risk boredom and would be
stifled from natural growth.

sdw
*
http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=1400053064
Hard America, Soft America*
Competition vs. Coddling and the Battle for the Nation's Future
*Written by* Michael Barone
<http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/results.pperl?authorid=1480>

Current Affairs | Crown Forum | Hardcover | May 2004 | *$32.00* |
1-4000-5306-4

*ABOUT THIS BOOK*

A peculiar feature of our country today, says Michael Barone, is that we
seem to produce incompetent eighteen-year-olds but remarkably competent
thirty-year-olds. Indeed, American students lag behind their peers in
other nations, but America remains on the leading edge economically,
scienti?cally, technologically, and militarily.

The reason for this paradox, explains Barone in this brilliant essay, is
that "from ages six to eighteen Americans live mostly in what I call
Soft America--the parts of our country where there is little competition
and accountability. But from ages eighteen to thirty Americans live
mostly in Hard America--the parts of American life subject to
competition and accountability." While Soft America coddles, Hard
America plays for keeps.

Educators, for example, protect children from the rigors of testing, ban
dodgeball, and promote just about any student who shows up. But most
adults quickly ?gure out that how they do depends on what they produce.

Barone sweeps readers along, showing how we came to the current
divide--for things weren't always this way. In fact, no part of our
society is all Hard or all Soft, and the boundary between Hard America
and Soft America often moves back and forth. Barone also shows where
America is headed--or should be headed. We don't want to subject
kindergartners to the rigors of the Marine Corps or leave old people
uncared for. But Soft America lives off the productivity, creativity,
and competence of Hard America, and we have the luxury of keeping part
of our society Soft only if we keep most of it Hard.

Hard America, Soft America reveals:
. How the American situation is unique: In Europe, schooling is
competitive and demanding, but adult life is Soft, with generous welfare
bene?ts, short work hours, long vacations, and state pensions
. How the American military has reclaimed the Hard goals and programs it
abandoned in the Vietnam era
. How Hardness drives America's economy--an economy that businesses and
economists nearly destroyed in the 1970s by spurning competition
. How America's schools have failed because they are bastions of
Softness--but how they are ?nally showing signs of Hardening
. The benefits of Softness: How government programs like Social Security
were necessary in what was a harsh and unforgiving America
. Hard America, Soft America is a stunningly original and provocative
work of social commentary from one of this country's most respected
political analysts.

*AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY*

MICHAEL BARONE is a senior writer with U.S. News & World Report and a
contributor to Fox News Channel. He is the principal coauthor of the
biannual Almanac of American Politics and the author of two acclaimed
works of political history, *Our Country *and *The New Americans*. A
graduate of Harvard College and Yale Law School, he lives in Washington,
D.C.
*/From Publishers Weekly/*
In his latest book, Barone, a writer for /U.S. News and World Report/
and a well-known political commentator, describes America as comprising
two diametrically opposed characteristics: hard and soft. "Hard America"
is characterized by competition and accountability, while "Soft America"
attempts to protect its citizens through government regulation and other
social safety nets. While Barone's book is not without its political
overtones-he identifies Hard America with the political right and Soft
America with the left-his book should not be seen as the latest
installment in the conservative-liberal cultural wars. Rather, Barone
provides a deeper look at the way in which ordinary people live and work
and the meaning behind the decisions they make. His concrete historical
examples highlight the advantages and disadvantages of Hard and Soft
America, creating a compelling picture of two very different ways of
looking at the world, without degenerating into mudslinging or
name-calling,. Although Barone, a conservative, clearly favors Hard
America, he appreciates the necessary difficulty that comes with
balancing the two Americas. He concedes that a society without some
softness would be a cruel one, but warns that "we have the luxury of
keeping parts of our society Soft only if we keep enough of it Hard."
Despite his conservatism, Barone (/The New Americans/) writes with
moderation and insight. Even those who do not agree with his normative
conclusions can enjoy his thought-provoking and perceptive analysis.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc.
All rights reserved.
  */From /**/Booklist
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/partners/marketing/booklist.html/102-7790499-1429724>/*
Barone, senior writer with /U.S. News and World Report/, claims there
are two Americas: one hard-edged and extremely competitive, the other
soft and overprotective. Essentially, American youths age 6 to 18 are
dominated by a "soft" culture, most notably in public schools, which
emphasizes self-esteem and protects them from the harsh realities of
adult life. Come adulthood, Americans are confronted with a "hard"
culture that is characterized by cutthroat marketplace realities.
Generally, the dichotomy exists between school and work and between the
public and private sectors, but the boundaries between the cultures are
not fixed. Barone traces the trend in American culture that has produced
the dichotomy--the increased leisure and ease of a wealthier economy,
government regulation, and social trends toward providing greater safety
nets. Barone is never overtly critical of soft America, recognizing the
need for protecting some people in society, but he clearly argues for a
deeper awareness of the dichotomy, its implications for the future, and
the need to maintain a balance between hard and soft America. /Vanessa Bush/
/Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/001591.html
Look at the cool map halfway down:
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1132959/posts
/