[FoRK] Grand Designs, How 9/11 Unified Conservatives in Pursuit of Empire

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Sat May 15 22:56:59 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 22:54 -0700, tom poe wrote:
> This statement is much too much to swallow.  Neocons don't have the
> capacity to contemplate more than money and markets.  Otherwise, they
> find themselves in conflict with their beliefs.  Just a thought.

Hrm. While I'm not a big neocon fan, I think you're probably confusing
neocon and traditional big-business conservatives. Neocons self-define
not by love of business or markets, but by belief in aggressive
unilateral military pursuit of all values they see as american, which
include money and markets but also democracy, free speech, etc. How one
defines democracy, free speech, etc., is of course a matter of some
debate- but neocons would say they don't really care how you define them
as long as you are willing to go to war to defend whatever your
conception of them is.

Good background:
http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/neocon/neocon101.html

Luis