[FoRK] [Cal-Fork] A few notes on Prop 57

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Wed Mar 3 10:07:17 PST 2004

A brief update on California politics, proposition 57, the California
Economic Recovery Bond Act passed.  Proposition 58, The California
Balanced Budget passed also.  Proposition 55 which sought to take
advantage of low interest rates for school construction was voted
down because of the $12B in new bonds didn't sync with the current
climate.  Californians will have another chance to pass it
in November.   Proposition 56 (36% approval) which would have given the
state legistlature the ability to raise taxes with 55% vote
instead of the 2/3'ds failed.  Many were worried that this was a repeal
of Proposition 13 and also that the tax climate is already too
harsh for busineses during the recovery.

Overall, a big success for Arnie and an amazing feat for
such a divisive legistlature.  There's optimism that
the California economy is back on the right track.

Greg