[FoRK] International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) decision looms (again)

Steve Nordquist signa at birch.net
Thu Jan 29 23:09:57 PST 2004

> I refuse to become a nuclear physicist unless Japan is chosen (as it should be).
>
> http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20040130wo71.htm

Right.  I figured it out; since they chose not to connect (rent, even)
a turbine to dissipate the heat, but run cooling towers, you just need
to sell $15k heatsink-fan scale models and wait 10 years for the
DEMO reactor (enter the turbine people) design to begin.
Order the radioactive version to replicate the soft error schemes,
minor weight-loss benefits, finally get the Department of State
to say whether you may fly to Tanzania with your laptop.

70,000 radiation- and heat-resistant garage kits can't be wrong.
On the other hand, the post-maintenance bits where people crawl
inside to check 'er out gets robotic now; so whoever in 2014
finally gets the last UV-reactive cooling fan needed, and
hits the <i>really futuristic</> switch to start sucking
$7B over 30 years (ao 2044....) has to drum all the people
out for likely the last time, and order the droids.

Eel and neutron buns, fresh daily from an international
team of mettalurgy and plasma scientists.  Original hrat taste!

Plus when it's built, just running it around the curvature of the
universe to produce neutron gettering, electricity and megatons
of cooling (with some added uncertainty) is an er...cinch.

[Insert Google PSA:  Gravity.  I consider it my lifeline.]