[FoRK] time commitment for a w3c wg?

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Thu Jan 29 14:13:08 PST 2004

On Thursday 29 January 2004 11:55 am, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> I'm familiar with the work of this particular WG but not intimate with
> the gory details of the spec, which is fairly large.  So at the least
> I'll need to immerse myself in the spec.  I may be able to minimize the
> amount of time I have to take, because I'll be there to represent the
> W3C member's interests, which are limited to a small portion of the
> spec; however I don't know if that kind of limited involvement is ok.
>
> Thoughts?

My experience is that, depending on the WG and the spec. you may have to spend
a significant amount of time in order to influence things. The 'day a week'
is probably on the high-end for people that don't really want to have much to
do, except make small changes, and wildly low for people that want to have
real influence. At times, in the early XML days, and in the early DOM days,
my entire week (7 days, not 5) was basically related to standards work.

Your influence will be directly related to your perceived value to the WG, and
how well agendas align.