[FoRK] <insert big picture here> (was fork re powell .... no wmds)

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Wed Jan 28 08:08:04 PST 2004

Big picture politics:

Since WWII, our master plan was containment of communism.  Now the
neocons are offering a replacement plan which is containment of
terrorism, a similarly huge and vague goal.

The difference is that anti-communism was driven by ideology.  We
agreed that individual liberty matters, and worked together to maximize
it.  Anti-terrorism has no ideological component.  It is about the
physical health of the population and the competitive position of
states against non-state actors.

The lurking question is what anti-terrorism has to do with liberty.