[FoRK] The Word is Getting Out

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Mon Jan 26 09:30:33 PST 2004

A friend forwarded this:

"To my amazement, Friday night on 20/20 they had a program on "Lies,
Myths and Downright Stupidity
   Stossel's List of Popularly Reported Misconceptions".

"Myth number 6 was: "Republicans Shrink the Government"

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/2020/myths_john_stossel_040123
-5.html

--

Irony:  AM talk radio is / was, of course, all in a lather about the
MoveOn "hitler" submissions.  They would like to (and do) cast MoveOn

The right-wing is off-target, and this bodes ill for them and for the
GOP to the extent that it continues to pander to them and not mind its
own base and ideals.  The right-wingers seem to think we're having a
culture war where the battles are being fought on the fields of school
prayer, the Ten Commandments, gay marriage, abortion, and a bunch of
other topics.  But apparently their nemeses on the "left" (as
identified by the right-wing, i.e. "anybody who speaks out against
Bush") are primarily concerned about fiscal responsibility and
controlling the size, reach, and growth of government and government
spending.

I like Turpin's (?) characterization:  the New Republicans are for Big
Government, Big Brother, and Big Spending.

Instead of "MoveOn" --- now that that issue is dead --- that particular
org should rename itself to "Enough!"

--

jb