[FoRK] Irvine Ranch measurements (1929 – 1933)

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Mon Dec 14 03:32:35 PST 2020

I wrote an article a couple of years ago, when the kilogram was redefined,
and explained the measurement of the speed of light thus:

you may wonder if we can get more accurate measurements of *c* in the
future and refine this definition [of the speed of light as a certain
number of meters per second]? It’s vital to understand that *this question
no longer makes sense*. We’ve *permanently* set the meter to be such that
*c* is exactly this number of meters per second. Yes, it’s true we might be
able to measure the speed of light in a vacuum better in the future but
this will *not* change the numerical part of the constant *c*, it will just
tell us more accurately what a “meter” is.

James