[FoRK] Larry Masinter talk today: origins of Lisp at PARC & modern Medley

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Dec 11 14:22:05 PST 2020

I just saw Larry Masinter a few years ago, with his wife I think, at the decentralized computing event in SF I believe.  He and I
first talked for hours at an IETF plenary in Washington, DC when I was part of the Presence & IM working group, circa 1999.  I was
representing myself helping to try to standardize an open BuddyList/IM approach.  Barry Appelman walked into the meeting with
representatives of each faction where I was already sitting.  That might have come out better had Larry been interested.

I remember him justifying CRLF in IETF protocols, security requirements, etc.

I dabbled in Lisp / ELisp, but not like you guys.  I diversified in Forth, Postscript (and my own implementation of a
Postscript-like language to do a pre-web text-based scrolling browser-like forms app with scripting embedded in the page), C++, etc.

The ability of Javascript to hack its own environment, including HTML / DOM, creating new language abilities, reminds me a bit of
Lisp.  Other than Forth and Postscript, I can't think of another language that allows that so much self-hackery.  OK, I'm leaving
Ruby out deliberately.

Stephen