[FoRK] Larry Masinter talk today: origins of Lisp at PARC & modern Medley

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Tue Dec 8 10:48:10 PST 2020

Just yesterday I dusted off my lisp skills.  Wikipedia had and entry and
CAR and CDR which seemed wrong.    I thought:
(car (1 2)) = 1
(cdr (1 2)) = (2)

But the wikipedia article said cdr was the atom of '2', not the list of
'2'.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/car-_0026-cdr.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAR_and_CDR
Thus, the expression (car (cons x y)) evaluates to x, and (cdr (cons x
y)) evaluates to y.

I was going to write a correction, but gave up.  I am a Lisp aficionado
to the core.

Greg