[SP/ST/CORK] McKibben's "Enough" joins the growing Luddite trend

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Wed Apr 30 19:10:27 PDT 2003

 From Salon (yeah, it's premium, ugh.)  Anybody read this book?

	http://www.salon.com/tech/books/2003/04/30/enough/index_np.html

----

Faster! Stronger! Less human!

In "Enough," Bill McKibben argues that genetic engineering will deprive
our children of their freedom to choose who and what they are.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Katharine Mieszkowski

printe-mail

April 30, 2003  |  Bill McKibben's "Enough: Staying Human in an
Engineered Age" could be called a suicide-prevention manual for the
human race.

McKibben counsels that life right now is good enough, while warning
that the impending futuristic cure-alls for stupidity, ugliness and
madness are really just tasty poisons.

Genetic engineering promises to make future generations healthier,
smarter, happier, taller, thinner, better-looking, stronger, saner and
just generally better than we are today. Proponents claim it will give
us the power to prevent debilitating and fatal diseases and even, in
conjunction with other new technologies, potentially conquer death
itself.

But these claims haven't been realized yet, which makes reading
McKibben's anti-genetic-engineering call to arms oddly like
encountering a self-help manual when you're feeling pretty good about
things.

A self-appointed crisis counselor on high-stakes issues for the future
of the human race, Bill McKibben is known for his eloquent Chicken
Littling on environmental ills ranging from global warming in "The End
of Nature" to overpopulation in "Maybe One." In "Enough," he argues
that "improving" humans through genetic engineering risks turning them
into just so many humanoid robots. He charges that in the name of
speeding up human evolution, we are robbing our descendants of freedom
of choice and may even bring our own species' existence to an end.