[STORK, GADGET] Tivo feature wish

James Rogers jamesr at best.com
Wed Apr 30 16:26:31 PDT 2003

From: Jeff Bone

> I wish Tivo would store and export the closed-caption text
> transcripts
> of the recorded shows in its stash, and let you snarf them somehow.
> (HTTP over WiFi for future WiFi Tivo boxes, etc.)

Depending on your current TV service now, and almost certainly in the
future, the captioning is provided as a stream in the MPEG container.  For
services that currently use an MPEG2+ format, this should be possible right
now if the digital format is preserved.

Unfortunately, I think it is more a case that Tivo and similar devices
transcode the video streams, discarding any captioning objects in the MPEG
container.  The advent of ubiquitous MPEG4 and increasing storage capacities
should mostly fix this by eliminating any conceivable value in transcoding
digital video streams, allowing storage (and thereby searching) of
everything in the original MPEG container.  For all practical purposes, this
means you'll have to wait a year or two.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr at best.com