[SPORK] Eye-on-the-ball re: USSR vs. US "Magnitude of Bad"

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Wed Apr 30 15:45:59 PDT 2003

Re: whether the US or the former USSR plays / played better with the
other kids on the playground...

We're in a rat hole on the "internal conflict" question.  The
discussion of internal casualties and transgressions is interesting and
all, but let's not lose sight of the original question.  The discussion
was about whether the US or the USSR is / was more "benevolent" in its
relationships with other countries, as evidenced by a number of things
(casualties in conflicts, adherence to international law, etc.)

Was the USSR more oppressive of its own population than the US has been
to date?  I don't think there's any question about that --- of course
it was.  Did they kill more of their own people throughout their
history?  Probably, depending on how far back you go and which
conflicts you count.  But all of that's really beside the point.

I'll take the position that "the US has historically inflicted more
harm and acted more belligerently towards other nations than the USSR
did during its tenure."  Let's knock that down, shall we?  I don't know
the answer, but I doubt the differential is very great if we're "ahead"
on benevolence.  And while we have a completely unbounded possible
history of non-benevolence ahead of us, the USSR's days of being a
mega-bad per se are clearly over. ;-)

jb