[SPORK] Weird definition of "draining the swamp"

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Wed Apr 30 12:39:34 PDT 2003

Bill Stoddard wrote:

> [...] The French especially were against the war because it would
> break their lock on something like 25% of all Iraqi oil reserves.

To say nothing of the imperialist, unilateral affront the US presented
to nations that were once considered 'allies'.

> [...] The simple undeniable fact is the Iraqi people will be much
> better off now than under Saddam.

Agreed, yet it remains to be seen how long this will last. Furthermore,
this simply begs the question as to whether all the rest of the people
in the world are better off now that the US has apparently taken carte
blanche to deal with any disfavored nation (whether original,
manufactured, or imagined).

> I sure hope the US of A never falls under a brutal dictatorship like
> Saddam's. [...]

Would you instead settle for a totalitarian regime that panders to the
wealthy 1% of it's citizens and corporations, cobbles constitutionally
granted rights and rapidly drives the nation as a whole towards the
brink of fiscal collapse?

Elias