[SPORK] Weird definition of "draining the swamp"

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Wed Apr 30 15:43:14 PDT 2003

Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Jeff Bone wrote:
>

>> On Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003, at 11:51 US/Central, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>>
>>> I sure hope the US of A never falls under a brutal dictatorship like
>>> Saddam's.  Even if France had the ability to restore democracy, they
>>> wouldn't. I wonder if Chirac and company are as cowardly in their
>>> personal relationships?
>>

>> Yawn.  This obsession with the French is as bizarre and sad as a
>> certain obsession with a certain previous President.
>>
>> Look, whatever else you want to call it, whether or not we agree with
>> the moral basis of their position, "cowardice" doesn't enter into the
>> equation.
>

> Yes it does.
>
>> Standing up to the only superpower in the world for what you feel are
>> your convictions and best interests isn't "cowardly."
>

> The US is by far the most benevolent superpower in the history of the
> world (I can already hear Owen blowing up all the way down here in
> Clay Aiken land ;-).

;-). The phrase "You might as well say HIV is the most benevolent virus
in the history of the world - it is careful not to kill its host until
it has drained all of value from it." pops into my mind.
As far as I can tell, the problem with the French is that they are
enamored with the US - they want to have a third world empire to rape -
just like you. That they're not as successful at it, or
don't have as good PR, well. they can try again. They continue to get
examples to follow.

Owen