[SPORK] Weird definition of "draining the swamp"

Bill Stoddard bill at wstoddard.com
Wed Apr 30 14:26:59 PDT 2003

Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003, at 11:51 US/Central, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>> I sure hope the US of A never falls under a brutal dictatorship like
>> Saddam's.  Even if France had the ability to restore democracy, they
>> wouldn't. I wonder if Chirac and company are as cowardly in their
>> personal relationships?
>

> Yawn.  This obsession with the French is as bizarre and sad as a certain
> obsession with a certain previous President.
>
> Look, whatever else you want to call it, whether or not we agree with
> the moral basis of their position, "cowardice" doesn't enter into the
> equation.

Yes it does.

> Standing up to the only superpower in the world for what you
> feel are your convictions and best interests isn't "cowardly."

The US is by far the most benevolent superpower in the history of the
world (I can already hear Owen blowing up all the way down here in Clay
Aiken land ;-).

That France feels comfortable with starting a quarrel with the US is a
worthy datapoint supporting that assertion. If the USA was as bad as
Owen says it is (and as bad as previous 'world powers'), France the
nation state would soon be history. France is not in mortal danger from
the US and that is as it should be. However, the French leaders are
-far- from nobel in their intentions. Do you think the French were
telling the truth about why they were against the war? The French
leadership was -ok- with Saddam raping his people as long as the ElfFina
oil contracts were safe. They clearly have no interest in the people of
Iraq. Why do I not hear gnashing of teeth about their, ummm, mistruths?

Make no mistake about it... I am under no delusions that the US and GB
invaded Iraq just to liberate the Iraqi people. However, they -have-
been liberated and they will be -much- better off as a result.
Furthermore, some interesting opportunities have opened up that -might-
provide a way to peace in the middle east (doubtful I think, but the
prospects are argueably better than they were before).

I don't mind the shoveling of the chit just so long as it is distrubited
fairly :-)  The exclusive focus on "evil america" betrays a hidden
agenda or some very lopsided biases.

> Neither is flying planes into buildings, for that matter.  Or strapping
> on a bomb and taking out an S'Barro's.
>
> I think folks in certain ideological clusters have some really
> fundamental problems with the concept of "cowardice."

Err... I don't think I have made any statements about people who fly
planes into buildings or suicide bombers (other than they are f5g
misguided idiots).  Don't paper me with that bs.