[SPORK] Holy Shiite! US pulling out of Saudi Arabia

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Tue Apr 29 23:15:16 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003, at 21:05 US/Central, Gordon Mohr wrote:

> This is one of the things that wasn't understood by people who said

I'm sure glad you guys are still getting your daily Pentagon briefs, I
seem to have fallen out of the loop on that one. ;-)

For the record my "Holy Shiite!" wasn't expressing surprise at the move
itself --- that was a foregone conclusion once it was clear that the
"regime change" was a code phrase for "territorial expansion and
regional domination," i.e. once the management contracts and occupation
authority assignments started being handed out.  It was merely surprise
at how quickly we did this on the heals of our "victory" in Iraq.

As Russell points out, while this may be a good thing in some respects,
it doesn't undo the fact that we're just handing the world (and
particularly that region) more prima facie evidence of our lies,
geopolitical manipulation, and hypocrisy.

At least we're being expedient about things.  If we try real hard,
maybe we can squeeze a cup of lemonade out of this half-ton of lemons.
But I'm not even particular hopeful of that.

jb