[SPORK] Holy Shiite! US pulling out of Saudi Arabia

James Rogers jamesr at best.com
Tue Apr 29 20:48:03 PDT 2003

On 4/29/03 7:31 PM, "Russell Turpin" <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> So all the business with the UN about searching
> for WMDs really *was* a charade? Just as Bush's
> critics have been saying?

Iraq was its own different problem, independent of Saudi Arabia.  I'm
guessing it was more a case that the potential problem in Saudi Arabia
influenced the "when" and "how" of dealing with the existing Iraq problem.
Stationing US troops in those Middle Eastern countries for lengthy periods
of time to convince Iraq to make a gesture of compliance was making the
natives restless and the governments nervous.  I think there was some
concern that if US soldiers loitered too long in places like Saudi Arabia,
we could find ourselves with an even bigger problem in the region than just
an intransigent Iraq.

-James Rogers
 jamesr at best.com