First/Last Mile: Optical versus RF versus copper

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Tue Apr 29 08:39:59 PDT 2003

James Rogers wrote:

> So this is the general idea: For a given city, evenly distribute a Terabit/s
> of symmetric bandwidth to the core over the entire city efficiently with
> good latency performance.  At consumer price points.  Different city
> topologies require different mixes of network topology and technology.  RF
> is a hammer, but not every problem looks like a nail.  I am looking for the
> minimum number of technologies that can both integrate well AND allow
> efficient coverage of all possible city topologies in a seamless fashion.

Have you also thought about ultrawideband alternatives? They
really push the limits of affordability, boost the amount of data
you can send by 10-fold, and they really are quite
far along in both specs and manufacturing.  They use
multiple 1000 mhz ranges.   The US Army used to use it
to see tanks through trees using rada a long time
ago.

Greg