Transhumanity, like it or not?

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Mon Apr 28 22:00:40 PDT 2003

On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 20:28 US/Central, Brian Atkins wrote:

> Jeff Bone wrote:
>
> FAI != supercop/sysop/etc.

"Supercop" is just my little name for the benevolent entity (or
entities) Eli imagines / is designing.  And FWIW, I'm mostly sold.  I
prefer to continue to use that term as a reminder, to myself if nobody
else, that caution is still in order.

> Honestly Jeff you have a rather high opinion of your intellect if you
> believe you can predict what something potentially hundreds of times
> "smarter" than you will decide to do with itself. :-)

And exactly where have I done that, Brian?  I wouldn't presume.
Indeed, I was arguing quite the contrary.  Nowhere in this thread have
I expressed anything that is antagonistic to CFAI, to SIAI, or any of
your related pet projects.  Quite the contrary, I've been generally
your advocate this go-round.

It's possible to criticize without antagonizing, and any criticism of
CFAI from me in this thread has been mild indeed.

Pay attention, don't be defensive, and make sure you don't rhetorically
shoot your *friends* and advocates in the foot when you get flustered.
:-)

I'm on your side in this one.

> For all I know it may zoom off and never come back. My hope is if such
> a mind can be created, it will come up with acceptable solutions to
> the various problems facing humanity.

Now *that's* faith.  I hope you're right.  I think we should work
together to ensure that the dice are loaded in "our" favor.

jb