[Fwd: [TE] Transvision conf - June 27-29, 2003, Yale U]

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 23:42:59 PDT 2003

>What will the body be like in 50 years?

Some of this sets off my "Jetson alarm." That's
where you remember that by 2001, we were
supposed to have colonies on the planets, we
would get to work in flying cars, robots would
clean our houses, and heart disease and cancer
would be diseases of the past. George Jetson
still had to put up with a pointy-haired boss.
I guess some problems will be with us always.
But, dammit, I want my flying car!

I'm quite suspicious in 2051 someone (I hope
it is me) will write how we all were supposed
to live in manifold wondrous worlds executed
in a small block of silicon on its way to the
stars. I think I would worry more about the
transhuman possibilities if I thought it would
happen in our children's lifetime. For now, I
fully support continued research on strong AI
(we need some), neural prostheses, and all the
rest of it, but with some caution when it comes
to engineering new viruses. I'm even more in
support of research on heart disease and
cancer, to increase the likelihood that I get
to see the political impact of some of these
issues.

The future ain't what it used to be.