Transhumanity, like it or not?

Brian Atkins brian at
Mon Apr 28 18:04:04 PDT 2003

Tom wrote:
> I still think the Eli's of the movement will win out and it will become
> this "For your own good you have to be a borg" style thing. Why? Because
> power corrupts.

Please stop making these absolutely incorrect statements. This is the
antithesis of our volition-based hopes for the future. We have always
maintained that in such a future, anyone who wants to stay the same
should be able to make that choice, and furthermore have it enforced for
them when necessary.

In fact I know of no one in the mainstream of transhumanism who believes
in any kind of forced modifications. Transhumanists run the political
gamut from anarcho-libertarians to bleeding heart liberals, but one
thing pretty much all share is an extremely strong pro-individual
pro-choice belief.
Brian Atkins