Transhumanity, like it or not? (was: Prince Charles gets nervous)

Tom tomwhore at slack.net
Mon Apr 28 18:01:52 PDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Jeff Bone wrote:
--]Well, if the question is "borg or nothing" --- what do you choose?

Whats the old Milton line "better to reign in hell then be a servant in
heaven?"

If the choice is subverting the will of self to the greater hive mind or
fighting to be me, I will fight to be me until they cut me up for chum.

I like the idea of becoming a btter human, maybe even a new breed of
human, but in the end without the personal will of self its all
repression, zyclon b showers and gulags.

As for a "greater mind" knowing whats best for me, I dont buy into that
from the Judeo/Christians, Islamics, etc etc so why should I buy into it
or some other "higher power" scheme no matter who techofashionately
clothed?

Change is good, change is great, I am living proof. but without a self,
whats the point.

--]least, it avoids it as long as you assume that the first transhumans
--]are sufficiently ethically advanced to make the "best" judgments.

Once again, offering up humanity to those sort of "faith based" choices
seems as precarious as most other faith based choices.

In so much as the Transhumans will still be in some part human and given
the historical behavioral dealings of humans in social settings it seems a
better bet to go with the "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"
outcome.

"The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play