Yahoo! News Story - Jailed Iraqi children run free as marines roll into Baghdad suburbs

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Sat Apr 26 01:42:02 PDT 2003

Yahoo!News wrote:

> *daniel grisinger (daniel at netgods.net)* has sent you a news article.
> (Email address has not been verified.)
>
> *Personal message:*
>
> this is what the peace activists were opposed to. this is what the
> antiwar crowd is--a group of people demonstrating in favor of the
> right of a vicious dictator to imprison children.
>
> how about it, guys, do you still think that these children were better
> off sitting in an iraqi prison than they are free?
>
> /Jailed Iraqi children run free as marines roll into Baghdad suburbs/
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/afp/iraq_war_marines_prison
> <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/afp/iraq_war_marines_prison>

Just for comparison. Thankfully these children have all the rights of
being in a prison run by a democratic... oh wait they don't... Oh well,
they must be really bad criminals that convicted some serious crime...
like .... hmmm.... oh I guess "not being American"...

Owen

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s836988.htm

  Children held at Camp Xray, US admits

The US military has revealed it is holding juveniles at its
high-security prison for terrorists at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, known as
Camp Xray.

The commander of the joint task force at Guantanamo, Major General
Geoffrey Miller, says more than one child under the age of 16 is at the
detention centre.

However, Maj Gen Miller has revealed little more about their welfare.

Maj Gen Miller says the US is holding "juvenile enemy combatants" at the
centre, confirming rumours of children being held.

He has refused to reveal how many there are, their exact ages or their
countries of origin.

He says they are being well cared for and are kept in facilities
separate to adult prisoners.

The children are still being interrogated and will continue to be held
at Guantanamo.

About 660 prisoners are in the camp.

They have not been tried or convicted of any offence but are being held
as part of what the US calls its war on terror.