Montana governor wants libertarians to move to Idaho ..

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Fri Apr 25 11:36:49 PDT 2003

On Friday, Apr 25, 2003, at 09:37 US/Central, Russell Turpin wrote:

> This has had an effect similar to zoning. Not only
> are the ill effects of gambling thus concentrated,
> but in the communities that allow it, gaming
> becomes a dominant influence on the local economy
> and the culture. The end result are places where
> most people wouldn't want to go, except when
> they're in the mood to gamble.

Well, I don't know that this maps to reality:  Las Vegas is now viewed
by many (including large parts of the travel industry) as "America's
City."  It bills itself as a family destination, and lots and lots of
folks who you wouldn't think of as "gamblers" go there over and over
again.

But on some level you're right, and this just points out the broken
think of America:  we don't want vice in our backyard, but by damn we
want it somewhere!  We like our vice in nice little compartmentalized
pockets, preferably in some remote / isolated locale but only a cheap
and convenient plane ride (or drive) away.

Back to the island: don't you think the USVIs are inconvenient enough
(vis-a-vis Las Vegas and other domestic gambling destinations) that
gambling could be a low-grade aspect of the local culture and economy
rather than dominant?  I.e., why do you assume that the gaming industry
would swoop down in any more force than they already have in places in
the Caribbean where gambling is legal?  Seems there are natural
barriers of distance and economics that make it less than interesting.
(For that matter, why hasn't the gaming industry overtaken the cruise
industry already?)  This is a complex problem...

What I *really* want to talk about are the hemp farms.  Let's say the
target destination is a rather remote island w/ a suitable climate.
You want a cash crop, there you go.  How do you do this w/o having
Baptist-tobacco-lobby fueled military / DEA / etc. prohibitionist
forces from the U.S. descending on your head like a ton of shit?

jb