[CORK] Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Wed Apr 23 13:00:52 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003, at 11:49 US/Central, Bill Stoddard wrote:

>>     http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0404-07.htm
>
> Well, other than enjoying a nice writing style, that read was a waste
> of time. Long on opinion (hey, everyone has one) short on analysis
> (the "hard stuff"). Thanks for sharing. Next. :-)

Sometimes the opinion is the point.  In the parlance these are called
'op-ed' pieces and they generally serve to frame some particular
discussion, set of facts, etc.  In this case I think it serves as a
very clear and cogent statement of the effect that current U.S. policy
is having on world opinion.  Hell, she's pitching softballs here.  And
to think that world opinion is unimportant --- not saying you do, Bill,
but there are some who couldn't care less --- is exactly the kind of
hubris that defines the new "Ugly America."

jb