Throw away the Internet and start over?

Jim Whitehead ejw at cse.ucsc.edu
Tue Apr 22 16:49:34 PDT 2003

> I've talked for years about a simple modification of an old protocol,
> and have jokingly called it $MTP.
>
> In short, $MTP is: "friends mail me free, all others pay cash".

I saw a variant on this recently (a Microsoft Research project, but I don't
recall the name), where email senders had to prove they performed a
nontrivial computation before the mail would be accepted. This requires the
sender to expend resources to be able to send you email, but doesn't entail
all the messy details of actually exchanging money.

- Jim