Throw away the Internet and start over?

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 16:31:49 PDT 2003

Jeff Bone:
>Okay, look --- the primary intent of RESTmail
>is not in fact to fight spam. ..

Of course not. I was just running with that one
issue. I actually see some good sense in the
rest (hee, hee) of it.

The one problem that arises is the whole issue
of data locality, sporadic disconnection, and
storage management. BUT, that also is an issue
for all other data that interests you. HTTP
based email might drive solutions for that.

BTW, that issue rises in spades for all those
interested in T.A.Z., privacy, etc. Encryption
can keep your data safe from prying eyes, but
if you get your storage over the wire, then your
own access to it is controlled by the folks who
control the wire, and limited by your nearness
to a wire. Could local storage become a
political issue? Oops, that displays my lack of
focus on music. It already is.

Changing direction, one reason people go to sea
is to get away from all those damn wires. You
don't have to sail too far from shore before
you're out of range of cell phones, internet,
and everything else except short-wave. Of course,
a submarine will have its own intranet. I trust
you're going to paint it yellow?