You Can Worry Again, Russell

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:19:42 PDT 2003

"geege" <geege at barrera.org>:
>http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/22/science/sciencespecial/22INFE.html

My suspicion is that they will find the seeming
increasing mortality is a combination of
(a) statistical fluke, and (b) population
differences. I also suspect the actual mortality
will turn out to be quite a bit lower than it
now appears.

Keep in mind that health care officials are not
seeing all SARS cases, and they don't know how
many they aren't seeing. Most people who get
sick with flu-like symptoms never go to a
physician. I suspect that next to the known
cases, there is a large population of unknown
cases. If this is the case, the good news is
that it means the increased mortality is a
fluke. The bad news is that it means the
disease is more widespread than is recognized.

I could be wrong.