Distinctions and differences (was Re: Fwd: TRIPE (was: Poem))

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Apr 21 14:09:33 PDT 2003

At 1:46 AM +0000 4/21/03, Russell Turpin wrote:
>Let me know when it's discovered that France has
>offered the Iraqi Ba'ath government a foreign
>home-in-exile.

I wouldn't bet money on this if I were you.

I expect we'll be seeing Iraqi "asylum seekers" in France soon enough, and that France will honor those claims. Canada has already announced that it would honor Iraqi asylum claims under the rubric that they won't extradite anyone subject to a US death penalty.

Since there is little functional difference between the former Iraqui "government" and a drugs cartel, I expect that any claims of differences between "asylum" and "government in exile" is a distinction without a difference. Identical to the distinction between "pacifism", or "opposition to war", and treason, in an actual time of war.

>>Treason \Trea"son\, n. [OE. tresun, treisun, traisoun, OF.
>>   tra["i]son, F. trahison, L. traditio a giving up, a
>>   delivering up, fr. tradere to give up, betray. See {Traitor},
>>   and cf. {Tradition}.]
>>   1. The offense of attempting to overthrow the government of
>>      the state to which the offender owes allegiance, or of
>>      betraying the state into the hands of a foreign power;
>>      disloyalty; treachery.
>>
>>            The treason of the murthering in the bed. --Chaucer.
>>
>>   Note: In monarchies, the killing of the sovereign, or an
>>         attempt to take his life, is treason. In England, to
>>         imagine or compass the death of the king, or of the
>>         queen consort, or of the heir apparent to the crown, is
>>         high treason, as are many other offenses created by
>>         statute. In the United States, treason is confined to
>>         the actual levying of war against the United States, or
>>         to an adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and
>>         comfort.
>>
>>   2. Loosely, the betrayal of any trust or confidence;
>>      treachery; perfidy.
>>
>>            If he be false, she shall his treason see.
>>                                                  --Chaucer.
>>
>>   {Petit treason}. See under {Petit}.

Nation-states are a bitch, y'all...

Cheers,
RAH

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA